MITS Challenge

General IT discussion
Mooncabbage

MITS Challenge

Postby Mooncabbage » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:49 pm

I propose a regular series of coding/game development challenges on the MITS forum. These are common and popular things about the web, probably the most famous similar challenges are on the CG Society forums, although those are CG Art specific. They do get some pretty impressive prizes from sponsors though. For example, the winner of the NVART 06 challenge held recently recieved USD$10,000 and 2 x NVIDIA Quadro 6000s. It also provides us with an opportunity and excuse to learn, practice, and extend our skill sets. Additionally this forum has very few users right now, but this seems to me an excellent way to get more people on board (get it, cause its a BB lol).

Generally speaking mini-challenges are practice challenges and have a period from 1 week to 1 month. True challenges can be finalised as little as a month, or as much as 3-6 months after entries opened. It's common to have team and/or individual categories, depending on the nature of the challenge. In this context it might make sense to have several different awards, such as Best Graphics, Best Game Design, Best AI etc, again depending on the nature and focus of the competition. It's important that all the details are announced with the challenge.

It might be a good idea to have a seperate forum for challenges, and it would probably be a good idea to run major challenges on semester break, and minor challenges either during semester or on break weeks.

I'd like to suggest that the theme of the first challenge be the classic game Asteroids.

flibx0r
MITS Secretary
Course: Games Technology & Computer Science
Units: ICT312, ICT106

Re: MITS Challenge

Postby flibx0r » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:15 pm

I've been wanting to organise a MITS Game Jam some time soon - basically a 48 hour competition to build a game given a set theme. I'm wary about organising anything that takes longer, as doing such during semester will be a drain on your study time, and outside of semester it would be hard to get people interested.

Thinking I might organise a game jam for Jan/Feb

Return to “IT Discussion”